Recipe For Heritance Aarah’s Crab Curry with Coconut Roti and Sambol
Ingredients for coconut roti:
- 400g white flour
- 150g shredded / desiccated coconut
- ½ tsp of salt
- 125ml of water
- Oil for pan
Method for coconut roti:
- Mix all the ingredients with your hands in a large mixing bowl. If the mixture feels too dry, add up to two extra tablespoons of water.
- Knead the mixture into a ball and then separate this ball into four smaller balls.
- Slowly stretch each of the balls out flat so they are a few centimetres thick each.
- Place a large oiled pan on medium heat and cook each roti for around five minutes in total, flipping until each side has a nice amount of colour.
Ingredients for coconut sambol:
- 250g desiccated or fresh coconut (shredded)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- ½ tbsp chilli powder or chilli flakes
- Juice of 1 lime
- 300g tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
Method for coconut sambol:
- Mix all the ingredients together and grind in a paste using a pestle and mortar.
Ingredients for crab curry:
- 10g curry leaves
- 10g sugar
- 5g cumin powder
- 500g fresh crab
- 5g cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 5g ground cinnamon)
- 100g red onion (chopped)
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 5g cloves
- 10g curry powder
- 20g tomato paste
- 5g gram masala
Method for crab curry:
- Firstly grind the sugar, cumin powder, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, curry powder and gram masala together using a pestle and mortar. Place the spices aside.
- Oil a large pot and place on medium heat.
- Add to the pot the chopped onion and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the spices to the pot and cook with the onion for 2 – 3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk to the pan, along with the curry leaves and tomato paste. Season to taste.
- Add the crab meat to the pan and bring the curry to the boil, before lowering the heat to medium.
- Cover and simmer for around 20 minutes, until the crab meat is cooked through.
- Serve the crab curry with the coconut roti and sambol and enjoy!