For families looking for ways to keep children entertained at home during the school holidays, PHLCVB has come to the rescue with a selection of interactive creative and educational Philadelphia-themed activities, suitable for all ages and abilities.
With a range of experiences introducing children to Philadelphia’s famous history, art and culture including free virtual field trips at the Museum of the American Revolution and behind-the-scenes Facebook videos of the resident animals at the Philadelphia Zoo, there’s something to keep all inquisitive minds busy during the school holidays.
For the History Fan
- Take the whole family on a Beyond the Battlefield virtual field trip of the Museum of the American Revolution to see real artifacts and documents, as well as the actual tent George Washington lived in as he travelled with his soldiers
- Learn about the ancient world of Rome, Egypt and Greece on live virtual programmes with a Museum educator and explore extraordinary artifacts on their 3-minute Daily Digs with Penn Museum’s At-Home anthropology activities
- Engage children about the quest for liberty and various heroes throughout history with the National Liberty Museum’s lessons on themes of respect, taking action and spreading liberty to all or enjoy the Read & Romp story collection of videos including a matching craft activity
For the Budding Artist
- Flex creative brains with the Homeschool with Mural Arts initiative featuring a series of 10-30-minute arts-focused instructional videos from local experts offering at-home art projects
- Download activity pages and colouring sheets themed around the mosaic masterpiece of Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens, including a Make Your Own Mosaic activity
- Challenge young artists to try their hand at recreating pieces from the impressive art collection of the Pennsylvania Convention Center through their #PCCArtAtHome initiative
- Introduce children to Philadelphia’s collection of outdoor art with printable activity pages from the Association of Public Art featuring mazes, connect the dots and wordsearches
For the Wildlife Enthusiast
- Get virtually up-close with all the amazing animals living at the Philadelphia Zoo through videos shared on their Facebook page and learn through animal-themed worksheets
- Download marine animal worksheets from the Adventure Aquarium website including colouring pages and explore life underwater with a series of behind-the-scenes videos
For the Scientist in the Family
- Try some simple at-home science experiments and download colouring sheets from the Academy of Natural Sciences’ Science From Home website or sign up to the virtual events including science storytime, dinosaur playdates and exclusive virtual lessons on science and natural history taught by the Academy’s scientists themselves.
For the Musically Minded
- Join the virtual classroom of POPS in Schools@Home to view instructional videos, hear the sound of student musicians and download activities such as making instruments at home.
For more information on Philadelphia, visit the Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau’s website, www.discoverPHL.com
Photo Captions (From Left to Right):
Image 1: Loyalist Cavalry Troopers Tableau at The Museum of American Revolution.
Image 2: Ancient Egypt: From Discovery to Display at the Penn Museum. Photo Credit Kyle Huff for PHLCVB.
Image 3: Residents at Philadelphia Zoo available to watch on videos shared on their Facebook page. Credit Kyle Huff for PHLCVB.
For high-resolution images, click here.
For Further Press Information, please contact:
Greg Evans – Philadelphia UK Office
Tel: 07768 341790 / 01633 480 754
Sarah Salord and Eliza Barrett-Holman – GEC PR
Tel: 020 3907 6824
About Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau
Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau (PHLCVB), www.discoverPHL.com, a private non-profit membership corporation, is the official Tourism Promotion Agency for the City of Philadelphia globally, and the primary sales and marketing agency for the expanded Pennsylvania Convention Centre. The PHLCVB competes with its counterparts worldwide for convention and tourism business. The organization has divisions dedicated to the multicultural, sports, and life sciences markets.